Cost Engineering Consultant
We are looking for consultants with a range of levels of experience. We are a small but rapidly growing consultancy, owned by four highly experienced and recognised practitioners in UK Defence consultancy. We are looking for candidates with a mix of technical expertise and interpersonal skills, able to work independently or in small teams. We are looking for candidates who are able to help the company grow, and can offer exciting opportunities for those with the drive to develop their own skills and those of the company.
Salary: Negotiable plus benefits, pension (7% contribution), 25 days holiday & life insurance
The Role: As a Cost Engineering Consultant, you will be providing the cost estimates and engineering support to help the UK MOD and industry make better decisions. This may be working autonomously within customer teams to support business cases with analytical thinking and outcomes, estimating of procurement and in-service costs, or leading workshops with customers and Subject Matter Experts to improve accuracy and understanding of project costs.
Responsibilities will include:
- Delivering technical consulting projects.
- Assisting in identifying and winning work for a new and growing consultancy.
- Building new relationships and maintaining the relationships we have with our current customers.
- Using and developing problem structuring methods and a variety of tools and techniques, including novel approaches where required.
- Working organically in customer teams to deliver rapid turn-around analysis.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Knowledge of Investment Appraisals, Trade Studies, Business Cases, and Cost Benefit Analysis to support stage gate approvals.
- Good knowledge of statistics in support of parametric modelling, sampling, and risk assessment.
- Independent Cost Estimating: Experience in methods of estimating including detailed, comparative, and parametric techniques in support of both hardware and software systems acquisitions and through life support.
- Understanding and developing cost estimates that take account of; development, manufacture, and support environments; allowances; overheads; profit, Government Furnished Assets & Resources, historical costs, and Estimating Maturity Assessment levels.
- Development of robust cost models that satisfy independent Verification & Validation scrutiny.
- Knowledge of quantitative assessment of uncertainty, cost, schedule risk assessment and awareness of Risk Management approach and the costing of Risk within the cost models.
- Using logical and analytical thinking to solve complex problems for the client. Strives to deliver ahead of targets.
- Working in a client’s team to influence strategic decision makers whilst delivering practical solutions.
- Knowledge of and application of Visual Basic.
- Independent Verification and Validation audit against 3rd party supplied cost models.
- Knowledge of Earned Value Management.
- Application of Risk tools such as @Risk, Crystal Ball etc.
- Be or willing to be a member of an appropriate professional body (such as ICEAA, ACostE) and have a desire for further professional development.
- Educated to degree level, and/or have equivalent relevant experience.
- Candidates must have an existing right to live and work in the UK.
- Candidates will need to undergo an internal BPSS check prior to gaining site access.
- Candidates will also need to either hold a current SC clearance or be willing and eligible to undergo a Security Clearance check (SC level) upon starting their employment with the company. To gain SC clearance you will normally need at least 5 years’ UK residency.